Caltech HEP Groups
- LHC's Compact Muon Solenoid
- PIs: Harvey Newman, Maria Spiropulu
- Research: Large Hadron Collider, the CMS experiment. We are just enetring the era of direct probe of weak symmetry breaking. Higgs boson discovery. Beyond the standard model physics: 1028GeV2 - m02 = 100GeV2. WIMP - Dark Matter discovery through missing energy. Caltech Higgs discovery through decays to two photons and beyond the standard model searches, in particular SUSY.
- NOvA and DUNE
- PIs: Ryan Patterson
- Research: NOvA and DUNE long-baseline neutrino experiments. NOvA construction was recently completed, and data collection and analysis is underway. DUNE is in a highly active R&D phase toward the ProtoDUNE detectors. Addressing: PMNS matrix elements, neutrino mass splittings and hierarchy, leptonic CPv, neutrino-nucleus interactions, and BSM physics.
- PIs: David Hitlin, Frank Porter
- Research: Heavy flavor physics, analysis of BABAR data and R&D for SuperB. BABAR results were crucial to confirmation of the CKM picture of the origin of the CP violation in the Standard Model; analysis in a variety of crucial areas, such as the search for light dark force carriers, continues. Most extensions of the standard model predict new flavor physics at a level that could easily not have been detected so far, but to which SuperB and Mu2e will be sensitive. These involve high precision measurements and searches for, e.g., new sources of CP violation in heavy quark decay at SuperB and searches for charged lepton flavor violation at Mu2e and SuperB.
- Detector R&D: Crystal Development Lab
- PI: Ren-Yuan Zhu
- Research: Development of scintillating crystals for precision electromagnetic calorimeters. Track record of important R&D work L3, BABAR, CMS. Last decade several Advanced Detector Research (ADR) awards.
California Institute of Technology - High Energy Physics
1200 E California Blvd, Pasadena CA 91125